Amy & Roger's Epic Detour


Amy and Roger's Epic Detour is definitely a great book. It was light and cutesy.
The way the book pans out. In the beginning, we see our protagonist as this scared girl trying to get through each day and try to rebuild her life after a tragedy and we get to see her evolve into this confident young woman.

To me, her trusting herself enough to drive again was the biggest achievement in the story.
I liked Roger. He wasn't like most male protagonists I read about. He wasn't cocky and self-assured. I liked that in some ways he was naive. I mean come on the thing with Hadley? Really? He thought that could work?

I loved reading about their trips through the different states. As a foreign citizen I know close to nothing about every place they went to but damn, sometimes it kind of felt like I was there myself.

Also. Let's talk about the playlists. I am quite ashamed of the fact I knew exactly zero of the songs on it. I mean, I've definitely heard of Elvis but never really listened to any of his music. I like the typical American Top Forty kind of music.

Anyways. Back to the story. I really liked the moments where we saw Amy starting to open up. I was glad that her recovery didn't have everything to do with Roger. I mean yeah, he was kind of a part of it but her learning to trust herself had a lot to do with the trip, not him and the people she met on the trip like Hadley's brother, who I really like.

I really like the ending, it wasn't overly cheesy but just cheesy enough, especially his gift to her. I love that gift, it was so thoughtful. I do wish we knew what happened after but the story was about her gaining trust in herself again not just about them.

I don't know what else to mention but I would like to say, it was a great read and a quick one too.

No comments: