A Court of Thorns and Roses



Once upon a time, when I had yet to read the wonderful A Court of Mist and Fury, I was naive enough to love a beast and discard the god. Yes, I was a Tamlin shipper and I am ashamed! So ashamed. But, in the faith of full disclosure, here is my initial review. And I will be interesting my current review and try being as impartial to Rhys as possible for sake of those of you that have yet to read book two.

Here goes nothing:

Amazing! I'm so confused about my ship. I'm leaning towards Tamiln. I'm kind of disgusted with Rhysand. In some ways I got why he did what he did, he did it in order to keep Amarantha off of his track. But I can't see any fault with Tamlin. This story was so intense and amazing, I can see a great story blooming from it. It's hard for me to get back into the love triangle mindset. I haven't read one of those in a while. And I honestly don't like it. It scares me. I'm afraid that I'll be invested in a ship and it would sink. But this story was beyond the ships. There was sacrifice, strength. We saw a human be stronger than Fae. Honestly, that inspires me, it makes me wish I was braver. Can't wait for book 2!

Now, here is my current opinion of my initial review:
1. Tamlin is awful.
2. Rhys is amazing.
3. There is no love triangle. There is only Feyrhys.
4. Tamlin is delusional.
5. Still a kickass book.
6. Still love Feyre.
7. Still inspiring.
8. Can't wait for book 3!

Now, beware of spoilers from here on out. I will try my best to stay clear of anything from book two and focus on book one.

My absolute favorite thing about this book was Feyre's strength. She was such a strong character from the get go, we get to see that. We get to see her hunt, we get to see her as the independent huntress she is and I love that. Feyre's back story plays a huge role in life. We see that she, the youngest person in her family, had to take up the mantel of their provider. I was really pissed at her sisters and father because they just sat there and complained about how their lives were, about how they had to live in poverty, about their situation and did nothing. I hated that they complained even though Feyre risked her life on a daily basis to save her starving family. It was Nesta who pissed me off because Elaine was simply not capable providing for them but Nesta had the fire and did nothing to help her little sister. It also pissed me off that Nesta was partial to Elaine. Would it have hurt them too much to be in her corner? I know her reasons and I understand but those were my very first thoughts on Nesta and as the book went on, I liked her more, and in the second book, I even came to love her a little.

When we first met Rhysand, I wasn't his biggest fan. And honestly, before I knew his true intentions I didn't think of him as a stand-up guy. At that moment, he seemed like a person that took advantage of Feyre when she was vulnerable. When he made that deal with, I was horrified. It didn't hit me that he was trying to save her from Amarantha's wrath. I keep going back to my previous views and hate myself for it. When I read this book after ACOMAF, I saw it in a different light. But in that moment, I couldn't see past the fact that he had just trapped her in a deal for eternity with no way out and she was now bound to spend one week every month him. You'll understand his motives in book two if you were as put off by him as I was. I have honestly never pulled a one-eighty with my ships like I did in this book. I honestly was a total Feylin shipper but now I am a Feyrhys girl all the way.

I like Feyre's sense of honor, her fierce nature. I loved the way she resisted the Fae when she first got to Prythian. Many people would have succumbed to the lavish Fae life but that is exactly what I love about her. She doesn't let these immortal warriors intimidate her. And I understand Alis is supposed to be a character people like, and I know she was kind of a friend to Feyre, but I saw her as a person trying to take away Feyre's identity. I hated when people told her what to do. I love Feyre for who she is and I don't want her to change one bit.

I love Lucian in this book. I love that he can be a friend to Feyre and despite the events of book two, I have hope for him.

Finally, let's talk about the curse. About fifty years ago, Amarantha placed a curse on Tamlin's court that, frankly, superglued masks to their faces. All the high lords lost their magic and the trace of magic that was left wasn't enough to take her down. The only way to break the curse is for a mortal to fall in love with Tamlin and that was the whole reason for him demanding Feyre's move to Prythian for killing a member of his court. It was stupid of him to send her back three days before the deadline, even if it was to save herself but it did give Nesta a chance to redeem herself. We finally got to understand Nesta a little better. We got to see them as real people, we saw that Nesta went to rescue her and that gave me some closure on that front.

I did like the Feyre Tamlin interactions in this book. He was kind of a gentleman, not at all beastly. He was always trying to respect her wishes and treat her right. I loved him. I truly did and even when we met Rhysand, I did not sway. I'm the kind of person that needs something severe to jump ships and Sarah J Maas can make anyone do that. It took me a chapter or two in book two before I jumped off the Feylin ship and swam to Feyrhys.

The scenes under the mountain were a little dark. I love that they incorporated three tasks that Feyre had to complete and I love that Lucian risked his life for her. I love Rhys for everything he did and I am ashamed I didn't appreciate him back then. I think it was Tamlin's perfectness blinded me and I truly liked him initially but in retrospect, I wish I had seen Rhys for who he is. I love that when everyone thought she was going to fail, he was on her side. I knew when Rhys froze at the end, it was because the mating bond clicked and Feyre didn't know what it was because she was a human before and she has no idea what it is like.

Now, the scene where Feyre became High Fae. I love that each High Lord gave a little of their magic to bring her back to life. I love the way that scene was written and I love that Amarantha died. I never want to see that witch again. Not after everything she did to my poor Illyrian baby...

Finally, I want to discuss some absolutely useless thoughts passing through my brain. Does High Fae sound like hyphae, the filaments that make up the mycelium of fungi? And I kept wondering why there is no Dusk Court when there is a Dawn Court! I know useless.

Anyways, what is better than a book that keeps you reeling a year after you read it? I mean this has to be one of the most phenomenal series I have read and I think there is only one thing that could make it better. A crossover. I mean, it's magic right? What if a Wyrd gate from the Throne of Glass world led here? Wouldn't that be amazing? All my favorite Faes in one book!!!

If you haven't read this book, I suggest you pick it up. Sarah J Maas's words are like ice cream, you just never get enough. If I had to say I had an addiction, it would be the words of SJ Maas and Cassie Claire!




Reviews for rest of the series:
A Court of Thorns and Roses
A Court of Mist and Fury
A Court of Wings and Ruins

No comments: