Truthwitch


Truthwitch is the first novel in the Witchland Series. It is set in a world where people are born with different types of magic, 'witchery.' 

I went into this book with extremely high expectations. And it did not disappoint me. Yes, it was confusing at times, but it was thrilling. It was fun going back into the genre I love so much after binging on a lot of contemporary. This month I picked up quite a few Fantasy novels, but I have to say, this was my favorite.

So the witches in this world are nothing like the ones we're used to, they're not like the Harry Potter witches or witches from some TV show. They're unique and fantastic. They don't use spells, but their magic is so strong.

I loved the chemistry between our two lead female characters. Their strong friendship really got to me. Their connection was so real. I could actually imagine it, it wasn't one of those exaggerated book friendships, and it made me long for a friend that close.

All the characters were kind of amazing. The guy I assumed was going to be a villain might not be one.
Anyways, I'll discuss my views with my opinions and spoilers now.

“Where’s your hair?” she shouted. “And what happened to your arm?”
“Cut my hair and got shot with an arrow!” 
“Gods below, Iseult! A few hours away and your whole life tumbles through the hell-gates!”
“I might say the same to you,” Iseult shouted back—though it was getting hard to scream and ride. “Four opponents on your tail and a ruined dress!” 

For some reason, I really liked the lines mentioned above. It kind of made me feel as if they were real friends. I mean, don't we all discuss the most insignificant things with our best friends even when our lives are thoroughly messed up?

A few things really confused me. Some utterly trivial. Like is their world like medieval earth? I mean in some places it seemed like Safi didn't have any choice, especially about her betrothal. I mean she didn't have any choice. That's just wrong. Also, when they were attacked Merik called her the Emperor's property! That's just disgusting. I don't think I disliked him more at any other point, even when he shackled her. Which was also wrong. I mean if he plans on ever being with her, they better be equals.

I'm crazy passionate about equality.
But honestly, I have a feeling that the only reason she had no choice was the fact he was the emperor.

Also, I think Polly, i.e., Prince Leopold was trying to help Safi not take her back to his old uncle. That's just disgusting. She's not old enough!

Anyways.

Merik and Safi were so much fun to read about. Their fights were amazing. I liked when they actually had a full on fight on the deck. That was epic!

Now. Iseult. She was like the quiet strong warrior protector who was always by Safi's side.

I loved how they were around each other. Safi and Iseult were like the better half of the other. Threadbrothers/sister reminded me of Parabatai from Shadowhunter Chronicles.

I really liked Iseult's magic, it was impressive, but I thought the Elemental magic was better than being able, to tell the truth. I mean, what's so kick ass about. I'm hoping it develops over time.

Now. Our resident bloodwitch. Initially, I didn't like Aeduan. He was a bloodwitch who we assume are all bad.

But I see the hero potential and romantic potential with Iseult. They'd be good together.

What happened to Kullen was so awful, I mean, he shouldn't have died in book one. I was kind of expecting, but he could be such a huge part of it. Though Ryber leaving made me suspicious. Maybe, just maybe it's not the end of Kullen. It's fantasy, after all, anything can happen. Besides, his death to Merik is like Iseult's death to Safi. I hope Merik doesn't suffer like that.

In the end, when Merik got the letter, I expected a bigger reaction. I hope he joins Iseult and they help Safi together. I don't want them to save her, I want her to be strong, but they should totally team up. This time without the contract. Also. I want Aeduan to join them.

Now that he knows that they're Cahr Awen, he has to protect them right. Let his father go to hell!

I think the Empress Vaness is going to influence on the story.

The ending left me hanging. I'm not usually used to reading series one by one, often binge read them when the last book comes out, and this left me high and dry.

There are supposed to be four books, and I see the potential in the characters and am highly anticipating the next book.

Oh, and what the hell is Cleaving? I did not understand Cleaving at all! Someone who's read this, please explain it to me! I don't get it. I think it has something to do with threads cutting and stuff. Do they become like Zombies or do they die? I mean they don't die 'cause they attack people. But how does it happen? I get that the puppeteer can cleave people but what is it exactly. It kind of sounded like someone was shedding a layer of skin!

Oh and Tumbling? Really? Who calls it Tumbling? I kinda found that funny. I know I have an awful sense of humor.

Anyways, I also made notes. Check them out! ;)

“If you wanted to, Safiya, you could bend and shape the world.” 
“Sometimes justice was all about the small victories.” 

The Witchlands


That is the official map of The Witchlands.

So I watched an interview by the fantastic author of Truthwitch, Susan Dennard describing the World of Truthwitch.

She said it was loosely based on Imperial Europe. Three main empires were kind of based on Venetian Empire, Austro-Hungarian Empire and Ottoman Empire and a tiny little republic in Croatia called Dubrovnik managed to stay independent throughout war and all the other independent places that didn't get swallowed up by the three empires.

All the information is directly from Truthwitch website to make it easier to understand the world. It was a little complicated for me.

Empire of Cartorra

It is the largest of the three empires, Cartorra initially expanded through royal marriages and alliances. Only in recent centuries did the empire turn to warlike tactics. Magic is highly regulated, and certain witcheries are forbidden entirely. The Hell-Bard Brigad is an elite fighting force able to detect all kinds of magic and enforce these regulations and hunt any witches known as heretics, who try to hide.
Leader: Emperor Henrik
Side Note: It is the Empire from where Safiya.


Empire of Marstok

 It is the middle-man between lands of Fareast and the main continent of Witchlands. The empire originally grew through trade, but over time, the female dominated society developed vast, mighty armies of Firewitches. Despite the dark history involving slavery, this empire is now the most stable and welcoming.
Leader: Empress Vaness


Dalmotti Empire

It is a coastal empire that was built upon control of sea trade. They have an incredibly powerful naval fleet. Unlike Marstok or Cartorra, they are the republic with elected Guildmasters. The leader is the Doge.
Leader: Doge


Nubrevna

It is a small coastal nation which managed to maintain its independence in the face of the three empires because of its exceptionally skilled Navy and because of its capital city which is protected by powerful magical barriers and only accessible via water-bridges.
Leader: King Serafin
Side Note: Vivia and Merik are the heirs to the throne.


Arithuania

It is a large, wild country between Marstok and Cartorra. It used to be a great republic, but it's elected leaders were too free and too willing to bend the will of people. A century ago, it began to descend into anarchy. It is now filled with outlawed elemental witches, great Raiders, persecuted Nomatsi, and anyone else who doesn't want to feel the control of the government.
Side Note: Aeduan's father is the Raider king of Arithuania.


Portolla

It is an arid country with a thriving coastline, Portolla subsists almost entirely off fishing. Like, Svoden, they've allied with Cartorra to maintain their independence and want to claim Krit, a nation nearby.


Krit

It is similar to it's larger neighbor Portolla but has fought to preserve its autonomy and its customs throughout the centuries of war.


Balma

It is a marshy country northeast of the Cartorran Empire that has managed to remain independent through sheer brutality and desperation.


Lusque

It is a small, rocky country that has maintained independence via guerilla-style warfare. Its population is small but fierce.


Svoden

It is a harsh Northland with huge tidal ranges that have led to a strong navy. Svoden allied with Cartorra for almost a century to maintain it's independence.


Illrya

It is a dry, coastal country that has maintained independence by sheer undesirableness. Like Krit, many of its customs hail from the Southlands.

Witchery


Some people are born with a “witchery,” a magical skill that sets them apart from others. There are six types elemental witches.

Known Witchery: 
Windwitch: Merik Nihar, Kullen
Truthwitch (Aether): Safiya Fon Hasstrel
Threadwitch (Aether)Iseult Det Midenzi, other people from her tribe
Bloodwitch (Void): Aeduan
Tidewitch
Ironwitch: Vaness
Glamourwitch

And then there were the healers.

Waterwitch Healer: Specialize in fluids of the body: Evrane Nihar
Firewitch Healer: Specialize in muscles.
Earthwitch Healer: Specialize in skin and bones.

Even though it's not mentioned in the book, I think there might be healers of the other three elemental witcheries. If I had to make a guess, airwitch healers deal with respiratory issues, and I have no idea about aether and void.

Reviews for rest of the series:
Truthwitch
Windwitch
Bloodwitch (Awaiting Release)
Threadwitch (Hopefully) (Awaiting Release)

No comments: